Saturday, November 27, 2010

An Old Folktale : Appointment in Samara

So I found this old folktale, 
when I was reading about an episode of Supernatural with the same name,
 and I thought I share :)

Appointment in Samara


Original Version


“A merchant in Baghdad sends his servant to the marketplace for provisions.


Shortly, the servant comes home white and trembling and tells him that in the marketplace he was jostled by a woman, who he recognized as Death, and she made a threatening gesture.


Borrowing the merchant’s horse, he flees at top speed to Samarra, a distance of about 75 miles (125 km), where he believes Death will not find him.


The merchant then goes to the marketplace and finds Death, and asks why she made the threatening gesture.


She replies,


“That was not a threatening gesture, it was only a start of surprise.


I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight
in Samarra.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...