Berry Crumble Bars
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
4 cups fresh berries*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, and baking powder. Add salt and lemon zest. Use a pastry cutter or fork to combine the butter and egg -- you want the dough to be crumbly like coarse bread crumbs
- Pat half of the dough into prepared pan, set the rest aside.
- In another bowl, combine lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Gently mix in the berries.
- Sprinkle berry mixture over the crust and try to spread it out as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the berry layer.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting squares. (Because I was serving these to a large group, I then cut each square into 2 triangles so everyone could have a try!)
*Use any combination of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries that you wish, just keep the strawberries on the minimal side because they contain a lot of water and can make the crumble soggy if you use too many.